Sunday, April 3, 2011

On Being Half Baked..........

There was a time once in my youth when I was very wise, actually quite the contrary. I was actually really, really, dumb when it came to this instance but I did learn a good lesson from it, and I actually used it as an example in a testimony. It really did leave a lasting impact on me so I thought today I would share it. But first let's start with the story,


TANNING: First of all I did not go tanning until I was a junior in high school. I had never gone tanning before but a ton of my friends had and I finally convinced my parents that I HAD TO GO TANNING OR MY HOMECOMING WOULD NOT BE THE SAME!!!!! So they relented and I got a pass for the tanning at Gold's Gym. I went with quite a few of my friends and the beds at Gold's were supposedly the best. Supposedly because my friends would go one time and look like they just got off of a cruise ship, and I would go and get barely any color at all. I would go the full time, use lotion, turn over from my back to my stomach alternating every five minutes. Nada. One day I went with lovely Ky, and we went into the beds. I lay down and was tanning for probably a good 15 minutes before I saw something I had never seen before. Hinges. HINGES?? I said to myself? No, it couldn't be. So I turned the bed off, stood up, and sure enough, HINGES!!!  NO!!! IT CAN'T BE!!!! My mind screamed as I slowly put my hand on the top of the tanning bed and pushed it down, realizing at that moment, that tanning beds GO DOWN, AND ARE LOWERED ALMOST IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! SON OF A B! This part was hysterically screamed. I put my clothes on and rushed, REAL, angry, out of the tanning booth to the hallway where ky was waiting for me, very confused. NOBODY!!! TOLD!!! ME!!!! THE!!!!! LID!!!!!! GOES!!!! DOWN!!!!!! I yelled. Ky, hesitated for a moment then laughed until she cried. We had been so confused after 9 times, that's right kids, NINE times of going tanning on brand new beds that I was only getting color on my backside. Everyone else had started only going once or twice a week and I looked like I just stepped out of a damn igloo. Awesome. Everyone that has since heard this story has said, "haven't you seen Cinderella Story?? It shows a tanning bed in there!" Seriously?

Anyways,

I then went tanning everyday until homecoming so that I could try to even out my tan, which I then learned my skin tans just great.

A few months later there was an early morning seminary testimony meeting that I attended. I talk like I blog so as I'm sure you can imagine when I bare my testimony it is all over the place. (AWESOME) nonetheless but still a little scattered, So I started telling about half of my high school about  this tanning experience which they all laughed about, and all of the seminary teachers and bishops were hitting their heads against the wall wondering how this was relevant to a testimony meeting? I then went on to explain the relevance. I learned a very valuable lesson from the silly tanning mistake. If you don't do something right the first time the outcome is a lot different than the expected outcome. You don't get a good "tan" if you don't follow the guidelines that have been set before from those who have designed it. We go through disappointment, embarrassment, and frustration because we don't understand why everyone else's "tan" seem to be getting so much glowier, bronzer, and better than ours. Are you following the metaphor here? I know it seems stupid, and probably a little dumb that I got this lesson out of tanning, but that is just how it works for me. I had to work twice as hard because I didn't do it right the first time which is just as applicable to life. Once I learned the right way I was able to fix my mistake and get what I was looking for, but I wasted a lot of time, money, resources and effort going into something the wrong way. I applied this spiritually to my life. Simple really, we follow the commandments and although life still has it's challenges, it is so much easier to follow. When we go off and do what we think is best without asking for guidance or help, (prayer) we get lost and angry. I honestly do think back to this metaphor a lot because it taught me a lesson I will never forget, and that is to do it right the first time. Which I might add will someday be my family's motto. So many things would be so much better if we would just do it right the first time, whether that is spiritually, in school, work, relationships, or just simple every day tasks. That is all for tonight lovelies. And even if you think this is a dumb post, I'm sure you must have gotten a good laugh at my stupidity, and the fact that I most certainly will get skin cancer on my butt for going tanning 9 times in the best bed for the longest time trying to get tan. Loves,

Oh! And one more thing, the name was derived from one of my favorite eye shadows from Urban Decay which is called "Half Baked" I also love "Twice Baked" but my favorite is "Midnight Cowboy Rides Again." (Not pictured.)




M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop a Love Line