Saturday, December 17, 2011

On Christmas Traditions

A few weeks ago we went and helped decorate my parents tree. My parents are in the process of moving to Logan but have yet to find a house so they are staying with my Grandma Buttars in Preston. This is actually a win/win situation for all of them because my parents are being picky about the housing situation (not that, that is a bad thing) and my Grandma is a widow and has enjoyed them being there. I honestly can't remember ever seeing an actual Christmas tree at my Grandma's house because they always go to their house in St. George or would come and stay with my family often during the holidays so it was fun to see a tree glowing in my Grandma's house. At my house growing up we always have had two trees. One downstairs that was real and was the "Family Tree" and then one upstairs that was fake that was my mom's "pretty tree." This year they only did one obviously and it is their fake one. My mom is a master lightswomen and yes, every, single, branch, is covered in lights that she applied over the lights of the tree already so that it was very well lit and lovely. Then Drew and I had the honors of applying the decorations all the while Forrest Gump was on, (Which honestly was suuuuper awkward for me because I always thought that Forrest Gump was rated R and so even when it was on TV that means it is kinda ok versus the for sure rated R I never watched it, then to be in the room with my parents and Grandma and to have them all loving it and talking about what was next was more than disconcerting to me, it made me itchy to be exact) anyway, onward to the tree
Look at that Beauty! Woo, it really could almost pass as a real tree which is good because personally I hate fake trees unless they are obviously obviously fake like white or purple or made of feathers or glitter or something weird. I just like real trees and I think all of the hassel is worth it. I thought Dutch would try to destroy our tree but instead he has been a little darling and hasn't bothered it at all, just to drink from the stand, which in my book isn't bothersome. Speaking of that tree, you should see all of the presents underneath it!! Every time I go there I am in present envy! Seriously, I used to count every present every day up to Christmas and keep track of how many presents were for everybody, but with this I just couldn't, My nephews have replaced all of the present excitement for me they have overtaken all of that, but I know when they open their presents on Christmas I will be excited to watch them open all of the presents........ Anyways I also took a few pictures of some of our ornaments on that tree because it is one of my favorite family traditions! Because my Dad worked for the Idaho Supreme Court my whole life he would travel quite a bit and so my parents started a tradition where my dad would get Christmas tree ornaments from where he visited and when we went on trips our family would choose an ornament. The top one is my personal favorite because that is when myself, my parents, and my Grandma went on a Mexican cruise and so I got to pick out the ornament all by my lonesome, hence the favorable amount of glitter. The seal is from the Oregon Coast, the pandas are from Washington D.C. the blowfish is from California and the precious moments one is from when we went to a Jazz basketball game when I was 8 and I put my name in a drawing along with a couple thousand other people and they picked my ticket and I won it. I was stoked. Still proud of that thank you very much!
I have a few favorite Christmas traditions, but one of my very very favorite is choosing a family and buying their family presents for Christmas, growing up we always did that and would drop the presents off and run and hide and watch them come to the door. I think that is part of the reason I love presents so much, there is nothing like the feeling of getting little kids presents when they didn't think "Santa" or Christmas presents were happening that year. And nothing like seeing the look of pure gratitude on the face of parents who didn't either. Since Drew and I got married we get Angel tree tickets and always choose two children to get things for. Last year we got sisters that were 6 months and 3 and we went to town. We seriously had so much fun getting them toys, and hair accessories and shoes and coats and little socks. So fun. This year we chose two children from different families, a little boy who was 3 and a little girl who was 5. They each needed coats so we got them some dang cute little coats and some other fun things, but we bought the little boy some baby etnies that were seriously adorable. I don't know why but I really love little people shoes. There is nothing like having traditions that help you remember what Christmas is truly about and for that I am thankful. Here's warm hearts and hands/feets/bodies where you're at. xoxo M

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts Megan! It makes it feel like you're not so far away :-) Can you send me your address (and your mom's for that matter) so I can send out Christmas cards? schroath8@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

Drop a Love Line